What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is the toughest privacy and security law in the world. Though it was drafted and passed by the European Union (EU), it imposes obligations onto organizations anywhere, so long as they target or collect data related to people in the EU.
Why should we be concerned?
As marketing management software, Unica, would involve personal data during two main activities: Data gathering and profiling and Targeting. Information related to customer interaction is collected to analyze the market and create unique customer profiles. Naturally, the more personal data is used in conducting marketing activities, the more challenging it becomes for organizations to ensure compliance.
There are tough penalties for those companies and organizations who don’t comply with GDPR- there could be fines of up to 4% of annual global revenue or 20 million Euros, whichever is greater. It is of utmost importance that you are GDPR compliant.
What will be covered?
The HCL Unica rely heavily on our customers’ owned Databases. HCL provides a utility that allows our HCL Unica customers to generate SQL scripts for deleting customer’s personal data from the software’s System Table Database.
These scripts will be available for: Platform, Campaign, Interact, Opportunity Detect, Plan, Deliver, and to a lesser extent, Optimize solutions.
HCL is making several changes to HCL Unica to assist organizations with the European Union’s new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
All the products provide a utility that generates SQL scripts that will, once run on the HCL Unica solutions’ System Tables Database, purge the system tables of personal data for your customers who have requested for their personal data to be deleted.
Following are the steps in a nutshell:
1. Run gdpr_purge.bat / sh.
2. Review the SQL Output generated by the GDPR tool.
3. Take a backup of the Unica Campaign System tables.
4. Execute SQL Output by DBA on Unica Campaign system tables for all the partitions configured.
5. Verify that the desired customer information is deleted.
For an example, I will refer to the GDPR utility of the HCL Campaign offering. All files and executables related to GDPR are available at the tools/ GDPR path.
- You will need to set gdpr.properties before running the gdpr_purge Utility. You are required to fill in all the information listed for every Audience in your Unica Campaign application.
- The default property file already has settings for the customer Audience Level.
- Once the properties file is set, please Launch the command prompt and navigate to tools/GDPR.
- Next, run the gdpr_purge.bat / sh file.
Please Note: In case of any errors, you need to check the gdpr.log file generated at tools \GDPR\logs.
The Output SQL file containing delete statements gets generated at :
- Campaign home/tools/GDPR and Campaign home/tools folders.
- All the SQL files created for all the audiences configured in the Campaign system must be executed.
- Please review them before execution.
- Take a backup of the Unica Campaign System tables.
- Then execute SQL Output by DBA on HCL Unica Campaign system tables for all the partitions configured.
- Finally, please Verify that the desired customer information is deleted.
GDPR utility helps to achieve “Right to Erasure” for your customers. Satisfied customers are happy customers. To learn more about Unica’s Privacy Policies, you can reach out to us, and we will be happy to help.