Each Emulator provides specific automation APIs to create scripts to automate the business process. Automated Scripts contains core logics to read, write, update, and copy data in Mainframe/AS400 emulators which helps is accomplishing every-day business.
When migrating to HCL ZIE for Windows (ZIEWin)/ZIE for Web (ZIEWeb), apart from migration of session properties and keyboard mapping, it is also important to migrate automated scripts to make it compatible and run in the new emulator without breaking automated core logic. These automated scripts can be recorded macros, Excel-based VBA automation code, VBS, or other supported formats.
Migration to HCL ZIEWin and HCL ZIEWeb (EHLLAPI programs only) is made easy with HCL Lab services proprietary Script Converter Solution which can swiftly convert external emulator automation scripts to HCL ZIEWin or HCL ZIEWeb compatible. The HCL ZIEWeb supports Excel VBA scripts written in EHLLAPI with IBM EHLLAPI bridge (32-bit only).
Customers migrating to HCL ZIEWin or HCL ZIEWeb can connect with the HCL Lab Services team to leverage the Script Converter Solution for a semi-automated migration solution
HCL ZIEWin and HCL ZIEWeb are HCL equivalent products of IBM Personal Communication (PCOMM) and IBM Host on Demand (HOD) that have the same feature set and functionalities as later.
Script Converter Solution:
Converter solution is a standalone application provides a graphical interface to convert a single script or multiple scripts in a directory from competitive products script to HCL ZIEWin/ZIEWeb equivalent.
The solution automatically identifies script file type, script API type, and converts to relevant conversion format of ZIEWin or ZIEWeb. It can also convert script which contains multiple external emulator API types in a single file.
Converted scripts can be viewed in comparison editor to compare with the original scripts. A comparison editor helps in reviewing and modifying converted scripts before completing the final conversion process. A review of converted script guarantees quality conversion of scripts without changing core logic. A review of the script is optional in the conversion process.
Excel-based Automation scripts can be converted without manually extracting macro/VBA code in it and without breaking functionality. The core business logic & the user interface remains seamless for the end-users.
Architecture block diagram:
Converter GUI provides an Import wizard and Comparison editor.
– The import wizard to select file/folder for conversion and
– The comparison editor to view converted files for review and modification
Converter Engine has core implementation of script conversion and it is a pluggable component to UI. It also provides an option to execute script conversion in headless mode.
Steps to convert scripts using Script Converter Solution:
Step 1: Import wizard to select the Input file/folder and output folder location to save converted scripts
Input file type can be VBS, XLS, MDB, VBA, Text, etc.
Step 2: Select files that must be converted.
If the input file is Excel-based application, it extracts all macro/VBA files which require conversion and listed to select for the conversion process
Step 3: On Finish, it starts the conversion of selected files
Step 4: Shows list of converted files and converted files can be viewed in comparison editor to review, validate and modify conversion changes
A comparison editor shows the comparison of converted files with the original script. It highlights the difference of modified lines in the script which help in reviewing and modifying converted files.
Step 5: Click on Save to Output Folder, completes the conversion process.
Supported Conversions using Converter Solution:
1. Multiple files can be converted at once irrespective of external emulator script type
2. No change to users because the automated script has the same functionality with compatibility to run in HCL ZIEWin or HCL ZIEWeb
3. The semi-automated migration (70%) process helps migrate several scripts in a few weeks compared to months.
4. An intuitively designed Graphical User Interface helps perform quick migration checks, validations, and corrections on the go.
5. Automated conversion is lesser prone to error, efficient, and faster, there’s as no human intervention in the migration process.
6. Any migration issues can be easily resolved over the debug session (onsite/offshore).
7. The support for migration from other competitive terminal emulators can be easily added to the tool owing to the flexible and modular design of the Migration tool.
Case-study: TIER 1 Global Bank (September 2018)
For further information about the Script Converter Solution, automation capabilities and Lab services offerings, please write to: