Domino today is used by over 15,000 customers globally to develop applications that run their business. With the introduction of Domino Volt, our mission was not only to protect the investment of our Domino customers but also accelerate their ability to deliver business solutions faster and increase the value of Domino. By providing our customers and partner with new application development capabilities that extend throughout the organization, we empower everyone to build solutions while still taking advantage of Domino’s security, reliability and low TCO. In just 3 months since our launch, over 80 new customers have taken advantage of Domino Volt to accelerate their delivery of applications to the business.
Here at HCL, we believe in drinking our own Champagne (or “dogfooding” as the software industry calls it.) We recently launched an internal hackathon to see if our team could build apps to solve our business challenges as well as other real-world challenges facing our customers or community. More than 20 teams with more than 50 members across the globe participated, and none had prior Domino Volt experience! Some of the submissions were from sales team members who had no development experience at all. They were only given two weeks to design, develop, test, and deliver their apps — on top of their day jobs!
We were thoroughly impressed with the apps submitted. Using CSS, the teams got creative with their app designs and created solutions that solved exciting challenges. Here are some apps we want to highlight:
- Blood bank app: Donors can submit their details, see emergency blood requests by type and location, and review criteria to donate blood.
- Smart help desk: Users can create and submit IT support tickets
- Weather app: Using a Google map integration, users can specify a point on the map to view the weather forecast in that selected area
- Food delivery app: Charities can coordinate food aid deliveries to people in need, saving time for coordinators, and reducing errors.
- Online-store: A full web retail shopping site
- Vendor registration: Onboard vendors according to company policy
If you’d like to play around with Domino Volt, register for our sandbox to get started. It’s free and runs on a browser, which means no installation required. You can explore documentation on how to work with CSS and Domino Volt and try building your own apps.
We have an exciting upcoming new release of Domino Volt. We have more than ten new features and enhancements coming your way, including the highly requested anonymous access, direct access to Domino data, and out-of-the-box directory services. Please join us for the launch webinar on July 30 (you can also replay it later at the same link).
Lastly, we’re inviting you to two more scheduled roundtable sessions! We encourage open discussions, so come with your questions.
- Roundtable 2: Domino Volt Application Integration Strategies, August 12, 2 pm ET. We’ll cover integration techniques and options within Domino Volt, including other Domino Volt applications, REST services, and Domino Views. Register here.
- Roundtable 3: Domino Volt Deployment Topologies, August 27, 2 pm ET. We’ll cover different deployment options to fit your needs. Register here.