HCL Digital Solutions would like to take this opportunity to clarify the requirement for offering Support subscription for the various HCL Domino Programs. This blog covers two such cases related to partial renewals that are not permitted.
Specifically, HCL Digital Solutions does not permit:
|1.||Partial renewal of HCL Domino Programs under Non-Expiring (“Perpetual”) License. I.e., Licensee cannot renew a lesser quantity than the entitled volume to obtain Support.|
|2.||Separate renewal of Client-only or Server-only licenses where both are needed for a production environment and must be on Support for all users.|
Here are the requirements for the HCL Domino Programs that can subscribe to Support (1) for Perpetual Licenses beyond the initial 12 months:
- All-inclusive Per User Licenses (i.e., all server entitlements included with the per user license)
- HCL Domino Complete Collaboration Business Edition (CCB/CCX)
- HCL Domino Volt User
- HCL CEO Communications User
- HCL Collaboration Express User
- HCL Messaging Express User
To receive Support for any above Program, each User must be under Support. Licensee cannot have some Users on Support and others not, which precludes any partial Support renewals of Perpetual Per User Licenses.
2. Stand Alone Server Licenses
- HCL Domino Utility Processor Value Unit (“PVU”)
- HCL Domino Utility Express Processor Value Unit (“PVU”)
To receive Support for either of these Programs, all PVUs as entitled must be under Support. This precludes any partial Support renewals of Perpetual Utility Server and Utility Server Express Licenses.
3. Client and Server Licenses
- HCL Domino Enterprise Client Access
- HCL Domino Enterprise Processor Value Unit (“PVU”)
As stated in the License Information (LI), each of these parts are interdependent and form one logical Program. Specifically, the HCL Domino Enterprise Server License Information mandates the corresponding Client License for any productive use (for all in-market versions).
From the HCL Domino Enterprise Server V10.0.1 License:
“Use of the Program by any means of Authenticated Access requires an entitlement to HCL Domino Enterprise client access, or a subscription to either HCL SmartCloud Notes or a HCL Connections Cloud S1.” (2)
Further, the most recent Domino v9.0.x and Domino v10.0.x Support Update [KB0085697] documents the packaging and Support dependency for HCL Domino Enterprise Client and Server side as one Program, why these cannot be separated from a Support viewpoint.
HCL Domino Enterprise Client Access is required for productive use of HCL Domino Enterprise PVU, hence both must be on Support to the full volume of Perpetual entitlements for each, i.e. no partial renewals.
4. Client and Server Licenses for Messaging Only
- HCL Domino Messaging Client Access
- HCL Domino Messaging Processor Value Unit and/or HCL Domino Enterprise Processor Value Unit (3)
In keeping with the other Client and Services licenses, each of these parts are interdependent and form one logical Program. Specifically, the HCL Domino Messaging Server License Information mandates the corresponding Client License for any productive use (for all in-market versions).
From the HCL Domino Messaging Server V10.0.1 License:
“Users of the Program must be covered by an entitlement to either HCL Domino Messaging client access or HCL Domino Enterprise client access.” (4)
HCL Domino Messaging Client Access is required for productive use of HCL Domino Messaging PVU, hence both must be on Support to the full volume of Perpetual entitlements for each, i.e. no partial renewals.
General Rules for Renewals
- If you already own Perpetual Licenses and a compliant Support subscription, you can simply renew Support AS-IS per above rules.
- If an organization (i.e., the Licensee) wishes to decrease the number of supported users, it may do so if it relinquishes perpetual license entitlements for such unsupported users. However, remaining entitlements must be fully covered by Support.
- Conversely, to increase the number of perpetual Client Access License users and/or server PVU License capacity for a currently compliant Support subscription, HCL Digital Solutions requests that you move to the CCB/CCX licensing model to greatly simplify your renewals and compliance tracking in addition to enhancing your value of the licensing.
If you have any questions about this announcement or have any licensing questions, please contact your HCL product specialist or HCL Business Partner.
- “Support” was formerly known as S&S, “Subscription & Support”.
Product Support from HCL is described in the HCLSoftware Customer Support Guide
- “HCL SmartCloud Notes” and “ HCL Connections Cloud S1” are obsolete and withdrawn Programs
- HCL Domino Enterprise PVUs can constitute the server side for HCL Domino Messaging Client where a high-availability (clustered) environment is desired and/or if add-on applications for mail management need to be installed. Mandates Client and Server Support and preclude partial renewals for any configuration of a Messaging Only deployment.
- The use of HCL Domino Enterprise client access in this context is limited to Messaging use
Disclaimer – HCL’s statements regarding its plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice at HCL’s sole discretion. Information regarding potential future products is intended to outline our general product direction and it should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision. The information mentioned regarding potential future products is not a commitment, promise, or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality. Information about potential future products may not be incorporated into any contract. The development, release, and timing of any future features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion. Performance is based on measurements and projections using standard HCL benchmarks in a controlled environment. The actual throughput or performance that any user will experience will vary depending upon many factors, including considerations such as the amount of multi programming in the user’s job stream, the I/O configuration, the storage configuration, and the workload processed. Therefore, no assurance can be given that an individual user will achieve results similar to those stated here.