This article helps to install and setup HCL Compass in your machine which runs on rest server (without WAS)
- Installation and setup are done on Windows machine, hence, should have Windows OS installed in the machine.
- MS_Access database to store the data.
- Java installed in the machine.
- INSTALL INSTALLATION MANAGER
- Navigate to https://www.hcltechsw.com/compass, click “GET A FREE TRIAL” button and submit the form with required details. Successful message shown as below.
2. Wait for few mins and will receive 2 mails. One with user has created and other provides link to download required software. Download Installation Manager and HCL Compass using links provided in the email.
3. Both software will be downloaded in zip format which need to be extracted and kept in a directory. Let’s install “Installation Manager (IM)” first followed by “HCL Compass”.
4. Select the version and Click “Next”.
5. Accept the terms and click “Next”.
6. Select the directory to install Installation manager and click ‘Next’.
7. Here final step to finish installing Installation Manager. Click ‘Install’.
8. Installation Manager is installed in machine and successful message will be shown. We need to restart IM by clicking on ‘Restart Installation Manager’.
- INSTALL HCL COMPASS
- Launch IM. Click File -> Preference -> Add Repository -> Enter url (D:\HCL_Compass_Install\184.108.40.206-HCL-CP-win_x86_64-FP01) and OK button. Again, click Ok button.
Note: Above url can be derived from where HCL Compass is downloaded and extracted.
2. Click “Next”.
3. Select I accept and click ‘Next’.
4. Click “Next”.
5. Select the path to install HCL Compass and click ‘Next’.
6. Check the components to install (excluding Web server and Report Launcher) as per below screenshot and click ‘Next’.
7. Click ‘Next’.
8. Add the URL and Server ID. Click ‘Next’.
Note: URL and Server ID are available in mail received by HCL.
9. Point to Java where it is installed in your machine and Click ‘Next’.
10. Click ‘Next’.
11. Click “Install” button.
12. Install will be success and message will be displayed. Click “Finish”.
- CREATE A SCHEMA
- Open “HCL Compass Maintenance Tool” installed . Click “Create” on top left icon and provide Schema name. I gave “CompassTrail”.
2. Select Feature Level, Vendor and Database file path. Click “Next”.
3. Click “Next”.
4. Select schema to use “Defect Tracking”, add description (if needed). Click “Next”.
5. Create user database and click “Finish”.
Note: I am using MS_Access for database
6. Once successful, click “Done”. Now, Schema is created and ready to use.
- LAUNCH HCL COMPASS
- Navigate to directory where HCL Compass is installed and start the server.
For me: Path would be C:\Program Files\HCL\Compass\compass-rest-server-distribution\bin and run the command prompt.
Note: If you get any error related to java, you may need to edit start.bat file and set java path.
2. Once command runs successfully, open any browser and launch the application using https://localhost:8190/#/login. you will be able to see HCL Compass application up and running.
Login Credentials: Username: admin, Password: <empty> and Login.
Note: If you wish to experience production databases like Oracle, DB2 others, please refer to documents available in HCLSoftware portal.