Today organizations are using containerization at an ever-increasing rate when new applications are created and when existing applications are modernized for the cloud. In a recent IBM survey, 61% of container adopters reported using containers in 50% or more of the new applications they built during the previous two years; and 64% of adopters expect that 50% or more of their existing applications to be put into containers during the next two years. To respond to this growing trend, BigFix Inventory can now discover and report on software deployed in containers. This new capability allows organizations to
- Discover all Kubernetes container instances running in the cloud, similar to VM instances
- Retrieve basic properties of the containers, including their current status (running, idle, stopped, etc.)
- Scan software in container images and assess whether the container instances are running software that is unused, blacklisted or whitelisted
- Track the usage of software running in containers; scan software in container images
- Tag discovered software and later report on the purpose the software was deployed (e.g. test or production) and who deployed the software.
Container Software Discovery is a new feature of BigFix Inventory that helps organizations report on all software deployed in an environment including the software running in containers ensuring that over-deployment penalties are avoided and software licenses are optimized.